I really want to eat more fish but I am unfortunately slightly limited in the various ways that I know how to cook and serve fish. I have a few variations on fish fillets, which are often paired with salad and rice. While fillets are delicious, I was pretty happy to come across Shay Mitchell’s recipe for fish tacos on her YouTube channel and jumped at the chance to make tacos with a new fishy twist. Hey, why not mash together 2 delicious things, right? So here we go…
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Serves: About 6
- 1 lb Tilapia, cod or mahi mahi fillets
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 large hass avocado, sliced
- Sour cream, cotija cheese, hot sauce or salsa, for serving (optional)
Note: I am using cod and salsa and left out the cayenne pepper cause I’m feeling like mild food today. Nothing wrong with sour cream or cottage cheese but I can’t have dairy so it limited me and I really like salsa on my tacos/fajitas.
- 1/2 small red cabbage, cored and sliced thin (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (run under cool water and drain to remove harsh bite. 1/2 small red onion)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
For the fish tacos:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together canola oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper). Place fish into a gallon size resealable bag or bowl and pour marinade over fish. Massage in bowl or seal bag (move bag around to evenly coat fish with marinade) and allow to marinate in mixture 20 minutes (and no longer than 30 minutes).
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill grates with oil and place fish on grill. Grill until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side (cook time will vary based on thickness of fish). Transfer to a plate, break into pieces and serve in warmed taco shells with cabbage slaw, avocado slices and other optional toppings.
So that’s all going to be cooked up and tossed onto a wrap with salsa and avocado, yum yum yum.
For the red cabbage slaw:
- Add cabbage, red onion and cilantro to a medium mixing bowl. Pour lime juice and canola oil over top and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat.
Note: I skipped the slaw because it’s not my thing but it’s part of Shay’s thing so if you’re looking to replicate the entire meal, go for it : ) !
Just roll up and eat. It’s sooo yummy; it looks sort of small, but I guess that’s what seconds are for if you are still hungry.
The Perfect Guacamole
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Limes
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup of red onion
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits and scoop out inner flesh.
- Mash avocados and mix with ingredients.
- Enjoy or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. (optional)
Voila! Super tasty. I hope you try it. Bon apetit.
To keep up to date on future recipes and other posts, you can subscribe to my blog by email or through your wordpress account.